Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Raising Sons --

I was raised on a farm.  I'm no stranger to dirt and dirty.  I was a girly-girl but also spent hours making mud pies and in the 'baccer' patch with my family.  I have one sibling - a sister.  Despite my childhood spent on a farm with sheep, cats, cows, dogs and mud and a few boy-cousins thrown in, I have been surprised by a few things about boys and boyhood.  Raising boys has taught me a few things.   If you have boys in your life, these will not surprise you:

-there can never be too many toy guns/weapons.  If you don't have said toy guns/weapons, sticks and pinecones will work as swords and bombs.
-farts and farting noises are funny, no matter where you are.
-Camouflage matches camouflage.  It makes no difference if the camo you're wearing is nighttime blue or digi cam or regular camo.  If its camo, it matches camo.
-the dinner table conversation can and will be gross.  And, no one's stomach is turned by this conversation except yours truly.
-Shark Week is awesome.
-Requests to groom oneself is often met with "why?"  Stinky-kid syndrome is not a concern so brushing teeth, wearing deodorant, donning clean clothes and underwear is not a high priority.  We've taken care of the brushing hair thing by keeping short cuts that require little to no upkeep.

I'm sure that you can add to this list.  These were off the top of my head.  Here are my teachers of all things boy  ----->
This is their picture on the first day of school this year.  I'm now the proud mother of a 5th and 2nd grader!!

Just look at those faces - what's not to love?


No comments:

Post a Comment